Date: 23rd October 2005 at 10:56pm
Written by:

After an injury time equaliser from Rotherham against Swansea, here is the rest of the days games.

Southend’s run of five successive home victories came to an end as Barnsley claimed a hard-earned point.

Shaun Goater scored shortly before the hour mark from a penalty after being fouled by Bobby Hassell.

But Barnsley were soon level as striker Marc Richards stole in to power
home a header from Jacob Burns’ free-kick. Barnsley then began to
dominate and Southend goalkeeper Darryl Flahavan was forced to save
from Brian Howard and Daniel Nardiello.

Blackpool held out for a draw against Brentford despite playing the last hour with 10 men.

The Seasiders’ hopes looked bleak when on-loan striker Tommy Wright was
sent off for his second yellow card. The game became a scrappy affair,
the best chance falling to Brentford’s Lloyd Owusu, who headed against
the bar from six yards.

Teenager Simon Wiles was clean through for Blackpool late in the game but keeper Stuart Nelson blocked his shot.

Bournemouth boss Sean O’Driscoll was left to rue “a proverbial game of
two halves” after Port Vale came from behind to win 2-1 at Dean Court.

“There was only one team in it in the first half and we went a goal up,
but Port Vale gambled in the second half by pushing three up front, We
defended quite well, but we were poor with the ball in the second half.

“If we had got the second goal, I think it’d have been all over, but we didn’t, and we gave the ball away cheaply.

Andy Cooke came off the bench to score his first goal of the season and clinch victory for Bradford in a dour game.

The striker tapped in from a yard after City’s top scorer Dean Windass
had waltzed round the keeper and rolled the ball across goal with two
minutes left.

Steven Schumacher blazed over for the Bantams and Mark Bower headed wide.

A prodded effort by Mark Jarvis was as good as it got for the Gills,
while Windass somehow managed to head Danny Cadamarteri’s cross over
the bar.

Gary Johnson has promised to ring the changes at struggling Bristol
City after they lost their fifth game away from home this season, 4-3
at Oldham.

City’s boss said: “Some players are good when we lead games, but not so good when we are one or two-nil down.

“There’s no professionalism, passion or pace – we need to change that
and that can be done by moving people on and bringing people in.

“I’ve brought a few players in, but this is not a Gary Johnson side yet.”

Chesterfield boss Roy McFarland hailed “a fantastic game” after their thrilling 4-3 win over Huddersfield.

“When we came in at 3-0 at half-time, they had to throw the kitchen
sink at us, and they gave their supporters something to cheer about,”
he said.

“When the ground gets full, it creates a good atmosphere, and we rose to it.

“But I wasn’t disappointed that we lost three goals – I was
disappointed that at 4-1, we didn’t use the ball better and kill the
game off.”

Out-of-form Tranmere’s winless League run stretched to nine games in a drab draw with Colchester.

Neither side were able to create many openings although the U’s edged a dreary first half.

Tranmere improved after the interval and sub Steve Davis should have opened the scoring but headed over.

And the U’s could have snatched it but sub Jamie Cureton wasted two
chances, blasting the first wide and hitting the second at keeper John
Doncaster boss Dave Penney was left to rue a hatful of missed chances
after his side lost 1-0 at Walsall.

Penney said: “If we had taken our chances, we would have won the game.

“We created a lot of opportunities but we knew after about an hour or
so that whoever scored the first goal would go on and win the game.

“It was end-to-end and we are just disappointed that we were unable to
convert our chances and come away with any points to show for our

Substitute Lee Bullock headed a late winner as Hartlepool came from behind to see off Milton Keynes.

Izale McLeod shot the Dons ahead when he ran on to Stephen Quinn’s pass.

Thomas Butler missed a glorious chance to level but made amends when
his cross was deflected into his own net by Dons midfielder Dean

And Bullock nodded in Darren Craddock’s centre to complete the
fightback before Pools’ Mark Tinkler and Dons sub Aaron Wilbraham were
sent off for fighting Phil Jevons grabbed a brace as Yeovil overcame
10-man Nottingham Forest.

The former Everton trainee hit a brilliant opener, firing home a dipping volley from 30 yards.

Midway through the opening period he scored again with a close-range
strike, before Forest had Gareth Taylor sent off for a foul on Colin

Late on substitute Kevin Gall slid a delightful pass into the path of
midfielder Arron Davies, who fired home off the underside of the

Christian Roberts earned struggling Swindon a point against high-flying Sc**thorpe with a second-half penalty.

Matt Sparrow volleyed a classy opener from Marcus Williams’ fine cross to put Brian Laws’ promotion-chasers ahead.

And Swindon’s chances of rescuing a point looked slim when top scorer Rory Fallon was sent off for a second bookable offence.

But Ian Baraclough handled in the box and Roberts held his nerve to send keeper Paul Musselwhite the wrong way.

So the league table now looks like this?

Southend top with 30 points on goal difference over Huddersfield with
30points, Swansea stay third with 28points 2 points clear of Brentford
in fourth.