Date: 26th April 2008 at 5:47pm
Written by:

Swansea City ended their season at home with a fantastic 4-1 win over Leyton Orient to delight the 16,000 fans.

All of our goals were scored in the first half as Guillem Bauza struck a hatrick in 19 minutes to give us a healthy lead at the break.

Roberto Martinez made a number of changes and shuffled his pack for the visit of Martin Ling’s side.

At the back, 3 changes were made as captain Garry Monk returned alongside Dennis Lawrence to replace loanee Ashley Williams. Painter replaced Austin after returning from injury and Angel Rangel was back after his rest.

In midfield, Owain Tudur-Jones made an impressive return after a lengthy spell on the sidelines and Paul Anderson started on the right wing.

Up front, Bauza and Brandy swapped again from the subs bench to the starting line-up and it was the Spaniard’s turn to partner Jason Scotland.

The Swans made a superb start to the game and maintained their level of performance for the whole 45 minutes, dominating the game and possession.

It took us 18 minutes to grab the opener as we counter-attacked with pace as Anderson picked up the ball in space on the right flank. He sped down the wing before cutting inside and unleashing a great left-footed strike that flew into the left corner.

With no wins in 5 at home, Martinez’s side looked far more balanced than in previous games, especially at the back with the likes of Monk, Rangel and Painter returning to add stability in front of de Vries.

5 minutes after Anderson’s opener, it could have been 2-0. Angel Rangel put Bauza through and with the goalkeeper on-coming his ambitious lob from quite a distance didn’t go far over the bar.

Minutes later though and it was 2, Bauza began his 19-minute hatrick with a simple goal from close range. Tudur-Jones sprayed the ball out wide to Anderson, his cross was met by Scotland but the ball fell to Bauza who made no mistake in beating the keeper inside the box.

Considering he hasn’t started a game since November 2006, Tudur-Jones hardly put a foot wrong in the first half. He was winning possession back, picking up the loose balls and creating play whenever possible, particularly getting the ball out wide to Anderson.

Rangel’s quality at right back compared to Tate’s was obvious. He got forward well and linked up well Anderson. The rest seemed to do him the world of good and was no longer getting outpaced and outfought by the opposition.

10 minutes after his first goal, Bauza got a second and it wasn’t much more difficult than the first. Angel Rangel’s long ball up to Scotland confused Orient’s defence which resulted in a mix-up and errors made by them and the goalkeeper, the ball fell to the Spaniard who cooly slotted the ball into an empty net from around 25 yards.

‘Bussy’ then completed his hatrick just before the half time whistle. Robinson forced a save from the keeper and Bauza latched onto the rebound but his shot struck the bar, and while most of us thought the game continued but the linesman awarded the goal as the ball bounced inside the line. You could see what his first hatrick in British football meant to him as he looked exstatic in the celebrations and well done to him! He deserved it and his attitude and effort this season has been second to none. He started the season off quite slowly but proved he’s been an excellent signing. As he has done over the year, I’m sure he’ll continue to improve next season in the Championship.

The second half failed to live up to the first as things weren’t going as well for the Swans. Orient, to their credit, kept on battling and pushed for a goal back. Swansea meanwhile struggled to maintain possession and maintain their dominance.

The visitors made 2 subs at the start of the second half as they looked to get back in the game early.

Scotland struggled in the first half to get into any goal-mouth action as he searches for his 30th goal of the campaign. He had better and more clear-cut chances in the second half but failed to convert them. The first saw him pick up Robinson’s pass but his shot failed to beat the Orient keeper.

The visitors then got a goal back to reward them for their hard-work in the second half. The defence should have done better though as yet again the defence failed to deal with a cross. Gray headered home Melligan’s cross.

Martinez made his first change and surprisingly it wasn’t Scotland coming off for Brandy. The hatrick made way for the Manchester United loanee and received a loud appreciated applause from the jack army.

Scotland had another chance to get his 30th goal of the season. He was put through one on one with goalkeeper, he went round him and with an open goal waiting, he took it too far and wide and the chance went begging.

More changes were made as Butler and Way came on but they made no impact into our second performance which very much contrasted with that in the first.

It was a superb first half performance though from the Swans and after a dissapointing run of performances and results at home it was excellent to see a a magnificent win at home before the season ended.

Swansea: De Vries, Painter, Lawrence, Monk, Rangel, Britton (Way 53), Tudur-Jones, Robinson, Anderson (Butler 82), Scotland, Bauza (Brandy 72).

Subs Not Used: Austin, Tate.

Goals: Anderson 18, Bauza 25, 35, 44.

Leyton Orient: Morris, Purches, Daniels, Saah, Oji, Chambers, Barcham (Melligan 46), Terry, Demetriou (Thornton 75), Wayne Gray, Ibehre (Boyd 46).

Subs Not Used: Palmer, Bradley Gray.

Goals: Wayne Gray 63.

Att: 16,856

Ref: Rob Lewis (Shropshire).