Date: 22nd October 2006 at 4:39pm
Written by:

Swansea City moved up to 5th in League One thanks to a 2-0 victory at home to Millwall this afternoon.

Goals from Dennis Lawrence and Leon Britton either side of the break gave the Swans all three points but it should have been more as we missed some glorious chances to extend our lead.

Kenny Jackett made two changes to the side that beat Chesterfield last week. Owain Tudur-Jones replaced the injured Way in midfield while Lawrence returned from international duty in place of Kevin Austin.

Millwall arrived on the back of 3 consecutive league wins and were hoping for a fourth for the first time in 3 years. Their confidence shone through in the opening 15 minutes as we were hardly in the game. Just 2 minutes in and the visitors should have opened the scoring. A Millwall player was unmarked thanks to poor defending and he struck a powerful volley that struck the post.

Despite our inactivity early on, we took a surprising lead. After narrowly missing a chance from a Robinson free kick, we scored from the resulting corner. Their keeper failed to deal with Trundle`s delivery and Lawrence was there to head the ball home.

We started to get into the game more now as we pushed forward and started creating chances for the forwards.

Trundle had a great chance with 10 minutes left of the first half. With his back to goal, he turned brilliantly inside the area to get away from his marker but somehow he managed to put the ball wide from close range.

The visitors were getting frustrated and started to lose their foothold on the game. The referee`s cards starting coming out as their players had rucks with a few Swans` players as tackles started flying in.

We really should have gone 2 or even 3 goals up as half time approached but we were missing from excellent positions to score from. Williams put in a good out-swinging cross but 3 players somehow all failed to make contact.

As the teams came out for the second half, Swansea City needed a second goal to put us in the comfort zone. We didn`t have too wait long though as Leon Britton scored his second goal of the season just 6 minutes after the restart.

Lee Trundle made his way into the box and was brought down with appeals for a penalty. Fallon picked up the loose ball and squared it to Britton who scored well from a close, but tight angle.

Tudur-Jones nearly scored in his first full start for the Swans this season but his header was well saved.

Trundle should really have put us 3 goals in front when he was brought down in the area and offered a penalty. The striker struck the spot-kick well but it was an excellent save from their keeper.

illy Gueret was untroubled for the majority of the game but he was forced into action late on and made a superb save to deny Zebroski. His curling long-range shot was heading for the top corner but the French keeper did well to tip it wide for a corner.

We then ran down the clock with 3 substitutes in the last 7 minutes. Akinfenwa replaced Fallon, Butler came on for Robinson and Chris Jones replaced Trundle.

Overall it was another improved performance from the Swans as they start to look like a side that could compete in the top 6 again. We created a lot of chances which was important and Jackett won`t be too concerned yet that we missed quite a few. I think Millwall were lucky that they avoided a 4-0 thrashing.

There`s always improvements to be made but we now seem to be moving in the right direction but I`m too sure we can rely on just Trundle as our main goalscorer this season.

Rate the players in the forum here

Vote for your man of the match here

What did you think of the game and our performance? Have your say below or discuss this topic with other fans in our forum here