Date: 5th January 2008 at 4:56pm
Written by:

Swansea City struggled again against non-league opposition in the FA Cup as they draw 1-1 at home to Havant & Waterlooville. The Swans add another needless fixture to their schedule as they’ll play their second replay in the competition.

A decent crowd of 8,761 turned up at the Liberty Stadium for the 3rd round tie with a few hundred travelling fans.

Martinez made a number of changes to his side. He went back to a 4-5-1 formation as Scotland played up front on his own. He made 3 changes to the defence, Monk and Lawrence were rested and Rangel served a 1-match ban. Tate and Austin partnered each other in the centre with Amankwaah at right back and Painter keeping his place on the left.

In midfield, Robinson and Britton returned to the starting line-up after being dropped on Tuesday at Swindon. Youngster Joe Allen was also given another FA Cup start.

Swansea City dominated early in the first half and after just 4 minutes, we struck the crossbar. De Vries nearly got caught in possession but passed the ball in the end to Amankwaah on the right. He then knocked it up to Butler who did well to skip past his marker and surged forward. Pratley flicked up his pass, back-heeled to Butler, Butler headed to Scotland who’s volley struck the bar.

Leon Britton then hit the bar after a one-two with Darren Pratley. He ran forward well, past a few defenders but his left foot effort came back off the woodwork and straight into the keeper’s hands.

Alan Tate then went close but he headed narrowly wide from a free-kick.

In the second half, the Swans hit the bar for the third time. Robinson had a neat one-two with Scotland, then laid the ball off to Pratley who’s powerful shot from outside the area struck the woodwork yet again.

Robinson also went close from a free-kick but the goalkeeper makes a great save, getting a finger tip to the ball to put it out for a corner.

After dominating most of the game, the Swans finally score. Andy Robinson tries his luck from a free-kick 30 yards out, it’s a screamer as it flies into the top left hand corner.

Moments later, Havant & Waterlooville are down to 10 men for an awful two-footed lunge on Andrea Orlandi from Brett Poate. He’s immediately shown red but it ends up in a brawl as all 22 players get involved in the aftermath. Duffy is floored and Tate gets too involved and is also shown the red card.

With Swansea having just 9 men with Amankwaah off injured, Havant & Waterlooville score a surprising late equaliser. Taggart crosses, it’s not dealt with by Austin and it falls kindly to Baptiste at the far post, he strikes it well from an acute angle to beat De Vries.

Swansea’s failure to convert more chances means they face another FA Cup replay on January 16th.

ast Updated: Saturday, 5 January 2008, 16:57 GMT

-mail this to a friend Printable version

wansea 1-1 Havant & W’looville

ocky Baptiste’s equaliser kept Havant’s FA Cup dream alive

ocky Baptiste’s equaliser kept Havant’s FA Cup dream alive

avant & Waterlooville earned a home replay against Swansea in a fiery FA Cup third-round clash.

Jason Scotland, Leon Britton and Darren Pratley all saw shots hit the crossbar for the luckless hosts.

Swansea led on 74 minutes when Andy Robinson struck a 30-yard free-kick but Rocky Baptiste drilled in an equaliser.

In between, Havant’s Brett Poate saw red for a lunge on Andrea Orlandi, with Swansea’s Alan Tate also sent off for his part in the melee that followed.

Interview: Swansea boss Roberto Martinez

nterview: Havant’s Charlie Oatway

Swansea started confidently against their opponents from the Blue Square South and Scotland saw his fourth-minute shot clip the top of the Hawks bar.

Britton also crashed a shot against the Havant bar soon afterwards, goalkeeper Kevin Scriven gratefully gathering as the ball rebounded into his midriff.


avant played better than a few League One teams this season


avant were living on scraps but the willing Alfie Potter made it his mission to make life difficult for the Swansea defence.

Swansea continued to threaten after half-time, with Robinson forcing Scriven into a fine finger-tip save to turn a free-kick over the bar.

Robinson was again close with a curling shot as he turned inside off the left wing and caressed the ball just wide of the far post.

The Havant bar shivered again as Pratley smacked a shot off the underside of the woodwork.

Robinson at last broke Havant’s resistence with a sublime free-kick, hit right-footed from 30 yards, that spun into the top left corner of the visitors’ goal.

Both sides had tackled with conviction but Poate’s two-footed lunge on Orlandi crossed the line and deservedly earned a straight red card in the 79th minute.

The incident sparked an angry clash between both sets of players.

Once the dust settled, Swansea defender Tate also got his marching orders, with Kevin Austin and Havant’s Shaun Wilkinson seeing yellow for their part in the tussle.

The drama was not over as Baptiste drilled an 87th-minute equaliser into the far corner, seizing the ball as Austin and Orlandi got in a tangle from a lofted ball to the right.

The replay at Westleigh Park will be played on Wednesday, 16 January.

Swansea: De Vries, Austin, Tate, Painter, Amankwaah, Britton, Pratley, Robinson, Butler (Orlandi 75), Allen (Duffy 57), Scotland (Bauza 75).

Subs Not Used: O’Leary, Monk.

Sent Off: Tate (80).

Booked: Austin.

Goals: Robinson 74.

Havant & Waterlooville: Scriven, Gregory, Poate, Smith, Warner, Oatway (Wilkinson 54), Harkin (Taggart 83), Collins, Potter, Pacquette (Slabber 83), Baptiste.

Subs Not Used: Taylor, McEnery.

Sent Off: Poate (79).

Booked: Gregory, Wilkinson, Scriven.

Goals: Baptiste 87.

Att: 8,761

Ref: Stuart Attwell (Warwickshire).