Date: 16th April 2008 at 10:21pm
Written by:

Swansea City earned a hard fought 1-0 win over Forest Green Rovers in a highly fractious encounter at Port Talbot Town’s Rem/ax Stadium this evening.

It would be the visitors who would start the brighter with Richard Smith steeling a yard from Jamie Grimes to unleashed a shot on David Knights goal but the former Middlesbrough shot stopper had it covered and palmed the ball over the bar for a corner. Forest Green could not take advantage of the position as Knight kept strong to punch clear. Finally getting into the game Chris Jones fed the ball through to Shaun MacDonald who was clear through on Tom Pass’s goal but was just marginally offside. Getting their passing game going the visitors had a chance to mount an attack as Steven Behan crossed into the box but no one was able to capitalise.

Swansea looked set to break the deadlock moments later as Kerry Morgan picked up a Scott Evans pass just outside the Forest Green penalty area but Morgan could only watch on as his shot hit the upright. The former Port Talbot loanee had a chance to trouble Pass in the Forest Green goal but his shot went well wide.

It would be an inspired McDonald who was to trouble The Green moments later but lacked composure and his shot went wide. With honours even going into the break Swansea came back out with a new resolve to get the opening goal of the game. The 100 or so Swansea fans in the ground would not have to wait long for the opener as Shaun McDonald took advantage of a defensive lapse in the heart of the Rovers defence to fire home at close range.

It would be the visitors who made the first substitution as Myles Farrier came on for Richard Smith. Sam Manshah had the chance to equalise for the Gloucestershire club when the midfielder picked up the ball in the Swansea half and surging forward to the edge of the Swansea penalty area shot well wide. Jim Harvey made his second substitution bringing on Ashley Caldwell for Steven Behan.

Moments later Colin Pascoe made his first change of the game bringing on Dion Chambers for Ryan O Hara. Kerry Morgan had the chance to extend Swansea’s lead but his snap shot did not trouble Pass. Making another change Mark Symmonds made way for William Witney. Loosing some discipline Swansea conceded a free kick on the edge of the Swansea penalty area. Up stepped Ben Pugh to take the free kick but his shot blazed well over the bar.

After some fine work by Captain Matty Collins the Welsh U-21 international layed off the ball to Chris Jones outside the box and turning his marker Jones found some space in the forest green penalty area to fire off a shot but he lacked composure and his shot sailed over the bar. With ten minutes to go Paul Casey found it difficult to cope with the rigours of the game and the match grounded to a halt whilst he received medical attention for cramp. After a bad challenge on Mansah in the centre circle tempers boiled over as referee Huw Jones looked set to send Rovers boss Jim Harvey to the stands for using inappropriate language. The game ended on a sour note as Shaun McDonald was stretchered off the field of play with his leg braced.

Swansea hung on in for a well deserved win.

Vital Swansea Man Of The Match : Shaun McDonald

Team Line Ups
Swansea City:
David Knight
Matty Collins (Captain)
James Burgin
David Kingdom
Jamie Grimes
Scott Evans
Ryan O Hara
Joe Allen
Chris Jones
Shaun Mc Donald
Kerry Morgan
Dion Chambers
Matthew Wright
Daniel Sheehan
Jazz Richards
Oliver Hewitt Fisher

Forest Green Rovers
Tom Pass
Steve Behan
Curtis McDonald
Ben Pugh
Ricahrd Smith
Jamie Pitman
Sam Mansah
Loran Sheehan (Captain)
Paul Casey
Issac Shaze
Makr Symmonds
William Witney
Ashley Caldwell
Myles Farrier