Date: 20th January 2007 at 6:17pm
Written by:

Swansea City were held to a 0-0 draw against Nottingham Forest at the Liberty Stadium as Jackett’s side failed to make use of the possession and goal chances they had throughout the game.

We were boosted with the returns of 4 key players, suspended trio Lee Trundle, Alan Tate and Ian Craney were back in the starting line-up and Robinson was on the bench after a back injury.

Richard Duffy also made his home debut at right back as Alan Tate moved into midfield.

There was also a place on the bench for new loan signing and goalkeeper Mark Howard, who recently joined us as a replacement for the injured Andy Oakes.

Forest’s travelling support of around 1,200 contributed to the best crowd of the season for the Swans, as 16,849 witnessed today’s game.

We made a promising start to the game as most of the football was being played in our opponents half for the first 20 minutes or so.

It was quite frustrating to begin with though as we seemed relunctant to shoot on sight, preferring to walk the ball in.

Lee Trundle pulled out the first of many saves from ‘keeper Paul Smith, after receiving the ball from winger Leon Britton.

Ian Craney also got himself into a good position but he scuffed his low shot well wide.

At the other end, Dennis Lawrence couldn’t keep up with Agogo as he got on the end of the through ball but Willy Gueret came racing out to make a superb save.

Leon Britton then should have scored not long before the break after racing clear on goal, he was one-on-one with the keeper but his shot was struck straight at Paul Smith who made a good save.

Lee Trundle also went close with a superb volley that Smith did well to tip over the bar for a corner.

After dominating possession and goal opportunities in the opening 45 minutes, the Swans really should have converted this into at least a goal, but the sides went in at half time were the scores still level.

Calderwood’s side improved in the second half as in the first they seemed happy to take home a point.

However, as the game went on without a goal from the Swans, you always felt Forest were capable of nicking one at the other end to steal all three points.

Austin though was solid again at the back and their strong strikeforce of Holt, Tyson and Agogo hardly got our back four into any real difficulty.

Grant Holt had a good chance to open the scoring for the visitors early after the restart. Southall picked out Grant Holt but the striker blazed his short over the bar from short range.

Butler then went close and pulled another good save with a powerful shot.

Jackett then made his first change of the game as Robinson came on to replace Butler.

The midfielder hasd a great chance to put us in front within minutes of coming on as Akinfenwa won a free-kick on the edge of the area. Trundle quickly stepped up however and his shot flew over the bar. I’m sure Robinson might have at least forced the keeper into a save with a more controlled effort.

Akinfenwa then had the best chance of the game to get the win. Duffys’ cross was met by the big striker but his header on goal was brilliantly saved by their keeper, a save that kept his side in the game.

I suppose you have to be happy with a point against Forest but we had enough chances and possession to get the win. They were no better than us really and it just goes to show how tight this league this. I was dissapointed really and we need to do better in front of goal.

Vote for your Man of the Match in our forum poll here

View match photos here

Rate the players here