Date: 17th April 2006 at 7:04pm
Written by:

Today’s game isn’t even worthy of a report after that disgraceful performance in front of more than 14,000 at the Liberty Stadium.

We slipped out of the play offs today after a totally inept performance, one that can’t be put into words to explain how poor we were today.

Today was simply a joke and Kenny Jackett is now starting to make himself look stupid. His comments about us playing a passing style game were ridiculous. The passing ability of both sides were the total opposite.

Rotherham were continually finding their team mates with easy pin point passes while we found it difficult to string 2 passes together as we conceded possession throughout the whole 90 minutes.

The defence were guilty of ball watching while the midfield were losing out in the middle of the park. We weren’t getting the ball down to the attackers and it took 37 minutes to force their keeper into action.

Another side would have embarassed us even further but they were more than happy with their 2-goal lead at half time.

We weren’t getting anything right in the game from start to finish. We resorted to playing the ball out of defence with long balls and Jackett couldn’t work out that this would never ever work, considering the size of some of their defenders.

A lack of width meant all too often space was being wasted on the wings. Robinson offered no support to Williams going forward as he was always operating in the centre, despite being played at left midfield.

While on the opposite flank, Adrian Forbes battled as he won the man of the match award, which really should have been scrapped for today’s game.

Having said that, we know he can’t beat a man and follow that with a good cross so he wasn’t much use either.

Garry Monk made the first of many defensive blunders, and luckily only two of them resulted in goals. If Southend were our visitors today the score would have been much higher.

The Millers took the lead just after quarter of an hour when they were awarded a free kick on the right hand side. Williamson whipped the ball in at the near post and Monk diverted the ball into his own net.

14 minutes later and it was 2-0. Gueret in goal was alone as the defence left him stranded to try and clear up the defensive mess. Butler’s cross was only paried by the diving frenchmen, and as one unmarked player missed the ball, there was another to knock the ball into an empty net at the far post. The visitors extended their lead, and they deserved it.

I was hoping we’d keep the score down to just 2 at half time as our defence was all over the place. Tate nearly gave them a 3rd as he had his back to a player unmarked on the edge of the area as both him and Monk marked the same player. Luckily their shot went just wide of the far post.

It was mostly the Swans in the second half as we tried to work our way back into the game, but having said that though we were no better than than the shambles in the first half.

Rotherham could and maybe should have killed the game off. Gueret made a great save at the front post.

The Millers battled hard at the back despite conceding a lot of free kicks in the process with some hard challenges.

Lee Trundle frustrated me at times, playing too much for himself as eh pointlessly attempted his tricks out wide when we really needed him getting the ball into the box.

Fans called out for changes and for Jackett to ”sort it out”. Akinfenwa and Martinez were replaced by Knight and Fallon and this changes didn’t give me any confidence that they’d change the game. Knight was out of position on the wing and Fallon was given the same job as Akinfenwa, winning the long balls in the air.

The midfield needed changing as we weren’t giving the strikers any opportunities at all in front of goal. We were losing possession in the centre but I still thought with Martinez going off we had no one in the middle to spread the play and to get the ball forward to our strikers.

MacDonald then came on for Forbes with 11 minutes left and this eliminated any width we had, there wasn’t much of it beforehand anyway.

The opposition’s defence did well as they battled hard and they closed us down well as we found it difficult when we entered their half. Players were being crowded by 3 or sometimes 4 Rotherham players so it was frustrating when some of our players tried to beat them all. Robinson and Trundle being 2 culprits.

Our biggest chance came when Robinson won the ball in the centre. Trundle made an attacking run into space but for some strange reason, Andy passed the ball to the opposite side of the pitch, gifting the ball back to the Millers.

Tudur-Jones had one more final chance to get 1 goal back with just a few minutes left. He chested down a cross from the left inside the 6 yard area but the keeper was quick to pounce on the ball, preventing the youngster from getting a shot in.

We’re now out of the playoffs and with games against Oldham, Southend and Chesterfield, you’ll wonder now if our season will be extended further into May or not. It was by far our worst performance of the season and I’m dreading what the scoreline could be against Southend in a fortnight. Hopefully we’ll show a gigantic improvement for the final 3 games.

Swansea: Gueret, Ricketts, Tate, Monk, Williams, Forbes (MacDonald 79), Martinez (Knight 60), Tudur-Jones, Robinson, Akinfenwa (Fallon 60), Trundle.
Subs Not Used: O’Leary, Murphy.

Booked: Robinson.

Rotherham: Cutler, Worrell, Barker, Murdock, Hurst, Mullin, Williamson (McLaren 85), Quinn, Robertson, Butler, Shaw.
Subs Not Used: Newsham, Hoskins, Montgomery, Gilchrist.

Booked: Robertson.

Goals: Monk 16 og, Robertson 30.

Att: 14,118

Ref: P Melin (Surrey).

View Photos Here.