Date: 3rd August 2009 at 12:39pm
Written by:

Paulo Sousa says he hopes to sign a new player before Saturday’s opening match away at Leicester City.

The Swansea City boss has been looking to sign a new striker in the last few weeks but so far he hasn’t been successful in adding to his squad.

Since taking over at the club in June, the 38 year-old has made 1 signing, midfielder Jordi Lopez arriving on a free from QPR.

Sousa has a number of targets in mind to boost his forward options, with Southampton’s Rasiak and Saganowski being linked with a move along with Ipswich Town striker Pablo Counago. Leyton Orient defender Tamika Mkandawire and Millwall centre back Zak Whitbread have also been mentioned in the press as possible defensive targets.

Paulo Sousa told Wales Online:

“Can I get someone in before next Saturday? I hope so,”

“I am always close to bringing in players. I have spoken to some players and we will keep looking.

“And even when the market finishes we will keep looking still.

“But it has to be players who can give us something different, to give us the possibilities of becoming better as a team.”


Sousa is also expected to release some players this week as he believes is squad is too big, he wants to cut the numbers down from 32 to 24 or 25.



Bookmark and Share