Date: 22nd October 2011 at 2:49pm
Written by:

Swansea City threw away a great opportunity to record their first away win of the season as Wolves score two quick goals to rescue a point at the Molinuex Stadium in the early afternoon kick-off.

Brendan Rodgers’ side looked to be in complete control as they took full advantage of Wolves’ poor defending, with goals from Danny Graham and Joe Allen giving us a healthy 2-0 lead at half time, while Mick McCarthy’s side left the field of play at half time to a chorus of boos from the home fans.

The Swansea City boss made just one change to the team that lost 3-1 at Norwich City last weekend. Mark Gower replaced Wayne Routledge in midfield.

The first half saw both teams create a lot of chances, with the game being played at an entertaining pace with the two goalkeepers being forced into saves as the Swans and Wolves looked for the opening goal.

Karl Henry forced the first save within the first minute when Monk’s header fell kindly to the midfielder, and he fired the ball first time at Vorm who was able to block it out.

Joe Allen then had a similar chance at the opposite end of the pitch. The midfielder did well to avoid an opposing player, he got the ball onto his favourite right foot, and his shot was kept out by the finger tips of Wayne Hennessey.

The Swans were the team who looked like scoring despite Wolves getting all 5 of their attempts on target. They weren’t making the most of their attacks, while the visitors looked far more slicker in possession and their movement going forward in particular was excellent.

Mid-way through the first half and the Swans made the breakthrough. Mark Gower made a lovely lobbed pass onto Danny Graham who got the better of Roger Johnson. The former Cardiff City defender was out of position, and he tried and failed twice to get a connection on the ball, before Graham passed the ball into the net before a neat first touch to control it.

Swansea’s first goal saw the atmosphere change significantly at the Molineux Stadium. The visiting supporters showed their vocal support for their team, while the home fans were left gutted and frustrated to see their team losing once again. Some left, others were crying while the rest just looked on in disbelief.

And their misery was only going to get worse before half time when Joe Allen doubled our lead. Danny Graham received the ball down the right flank and he played a well-timed ball across goal to Joe Allen who did well to finish from close range.

The Swans were now in cruise control at this stage, as Wolves were struggling to cope with the momentum the visitors now had after the boost in confidence any side would have after going in front away from home.

Mick McCarthy had his work cut out now if he wanted anything from the game, and whilst it may look like his substitutions paid off late in the game, he had Swansea City’s defence to thank for falling asleep at the end and gifting them a point.

The Swans were still comfortably 2-0 in front for the first 30 minutes in the second half before Wolves began to put more pressure on as they looked to get back into the game.

Britton going off to be replaced by Orlandi on 74 minutes was needless, it was as if Brendan Rodgers thought his side had the game won at this point, and how very wrong he was.

In the Championship, it probably would have been, but Wolves had other ideas. Swansea City were still making chances to increase their lead but substitute Sam Vokes got a goal back 6 minutes from the end. Michel Vorm could only parry a close range cross from within the box, and Vokes was free to net easily from the rebound.

The all-important equaliser came just 2 minutes later when O’Hara was in acres of space to fire the ball into the top corner after a square pass.

Swansea City fans wondered why on earth Brendan Rodgers brought off Leon Britton, but the fault simply has to be with the defence for ball watching towards the end. We had 5 defenders on the pitch when they equalised, as Mark Gower went for Vangelis Moras the minute they scored their second goal.

The Swans will hope that those 2 points dropped today won’t cost them at the end of the season, but if there was ever an opportunity to get their first away win of the season, it was there at the Molineux Stadium today, as in all honesty, a relatively poor Wolves side were there for the taking.

Wolves: Wayne Hennessey, Richard Stearman, Karl Henry, Sylvan Ebanks-Blake (Sam Vokes, 83), Stephen Ward, Roger Johnson (capt), Christophe Berra, Matt Jarvis (Adlene Guedioura, 67), Adam Hammill (Nenad Milijas, 67), Jamie O’Hara, Kevin Doyle.

Subs: Jody Craddock, Stephen Hunt, Matt Doherty, Dorus de Vries.

Swansea: Michel Vorm, Angel Rangel, Ashley Williams, Garry Monk (capt), Neil Taylor, Mark Gower (Vangelis Moras, 85), Leon Britton (Andrea Orlandi, 74), Joe Allen, Nathan Dyer (Wayne Routledge, 83), Scott Sinclair, Danny Graham.

Subs: Gerhard Tremmel, Jazz Richards, Luke Moore, Leroy Lita.

Referee: M. Oliver


One Reply to “Report – Wolves 2-2 Swansea City”

  • Brendan Rodgers needs to hold his hands up after a huge blunder in taking Leon Britton off and throwing on Orlandi. It completely changed the game with the Swans having no midfield defensive cover from that moment on.

Comments are closed.