Date: 24th August 2010 at 10:09pm
Written by:

Swansea City came back from a goal down to beat Tranmere Rovers 3-1 to progress through to the Carling Cup third round.

Showunmi opened the scoring for the home side midway through the first half after Garry Monk failed to deal with the long ball, but Rodgers’ side turned things around in the second period after a poor performance in the opening 45 minutes.

Orlandi helped to create the equaliser as his shot hit the bar and Van Der Gun found the net from the rebound. Moments later, Scott Sinclair scored his first goal for the club after racing onto Kuqi’s flicked on header. After creating our second he then added a third in the final minute of the game.

Brendan Rodgers made seven changes from Saturday’s side that lost 2-0 at Norwich City.

Neil Taylor made his full debut at left back while Alan Tate was dropped to the bench.

In midfield, Casey Thomas played his first game of the season on the right wing as Nathan Dyer was rested. Jordi Lopez, Joe Allen and Andrea Orlandi started in midfield with Cedric Van Der Gun on the left flank. Shefki Kuqi started up front.

Swansea City were very poor in the opening half as didn’t show any creativity going forward. Apart from Joe Allen’s shot which hit the side netting straight after the opening goal, we didn’t threaten the home side at all.

Garry Monk failed to deal with a long ball up to Showunsi and he was able to finish from an acute angle. Tranmere showed more fight and desire and midfield and they deserved to go into the dressing room at half time in front.

Rodgers’ side desperately needed to start the second half strongly as they did as Joe Allen had another chance to get on the scoresheet but the goalkeeper made a superb save to deny the midfielder from close range. Andrea Orlandi did well to put the ball through to the Welshman for his early chance.

After a decent start, things went quiet again shortly after and the Swansea boss made changes to boost our attacking threat. Scott Sinclair and Stephen Dobbie came on to replace Jordi Lopez and Casey Thomas.

Tranmere then had a few chances to double their advantage as Showumni was a constant problem for the Swansea defence – particularly Garry Monk who struggled for their opening goal. His header gave Gornell a chance but his bicycle kick flew way over the bar.

The Swans then had a superb 90-second spell – as we turned the game on it’s head. Andrea Orlandi, showing an improvement after a rather poor first half performance, tried his luck from distance and his shot struck the bar, Cedric Van Der Gun was quickest to net from the rebound whilst being challenged by a defender. Seconds later and we were in front. Shefki Kuqi’s flick-on header was raced onto by Scott Sinclair and he found the net and his first goal since his move to the Swans from Chelsea.

With 15 minutes remaining, we looked to hold on to our lead as we were rather fortunate to have it after struggling to create anything in front of goal. Tranmere looked to put the scores level again but the Swans had a boost in confidence thanks to scoring two goals in quick succession.

In the final seconds of the 4-minutes of injury time, Shefki Kuqi made it 3-1 and he showed his delighted at scoring his second goal in the competition by kissing the badge and taking off his shirt – he was then booked for his celebration.

It was far from a convincing performance from the Swans – a very disappointing one overall but Rodgers I’m sure will be happy with our character and response in the second half to win the game 3-1. It’s also good to get our first away win of the season, even if it is in the Cup.

Tranmere: Collister, Darville, Blanchard, Goodison, Cresswell, Labadie, McLaren (McGurk 82), Welsh, Thomas-Moore, Showunmi, Gornell (Akins 82).

Substitutes not used: Miotto, Bakayogo, Wood, Cathalina, Fraughan.

Swansea: De Vries, Williams, Taylor (Tate 87), Orlandi, van der Gun, Lopez (Dobbie 57), Monk, Serran, Allen, Thomas (Sinclair 57), Kuqi.

Substitutes not used: Cornell, Donnelly, Richards, Walsh.