Date: 24th September 2014 at 9:40am
Written by:

Roberto Martinez will want to forget his return to the Liberty Stadium as he watched his Everton side lose 3-0 against Swansea City as they progress through to the fourth round of the Capital One Cup.

It was Swansea City’s first ever win against Everton, and it was one to remember in front of almost 20,400 spectators at the Liberty Stadium.

Once team-mates, Martinez and Monk stood alongside each other in their respective technical areas as they looked on and saw two teams playing good, attractive football.

Both sides made some changes to their teams, with both missing their lead striker. Wilfried Bony missed out after getting sent off on Saturday while Romelu Lukaku came on at the start of the second half to try and inject some firepower up front, but Federico Fernandez prevented him for getting the Toffees back into the game.

The Argentinian arguably produced his best performance in a Swansea City shirt, and after another slow start where his passing was poor at times, he grew into the game and made countless amount of important interceptions and challenges to break up the opposition’s attacking play.

Much was said about Ovieda’s return for Everton, as the visiting supporters showed their vocal support for the player. He looked the most threatening for the visitors in the first half but was later substituted as they were struggling to find a way of getting through a solid Swansea defensive unit.

Monk made five changes in total from the team that narrowly lost against Southampton. There was one change in defence, with Jazz Richards replacing Angel Rangel at right back.

In midfield, Tom Carroll started alongside Jonjo Shelvey while Jefferson Montero produced a performance on the left wing that the Everton right back is now relieved is over. Gomis replaced the suspended Bony and Tremmel replaced Fabianski in between the sticks to complete the changes.

The Swans made a good start to the game but they found it difficult to create any decent chances on goal as their play in the attacking third and through the middle wasn’t near as good as it has been in recent weeks.

Gomis didn’t offer the hold-up play and battling qualities that you can guarantee from Bony. He looked a little lazy early on and showed a lack of desire to chase Everton’s defenders, unlike Gylfi Sigurdsson.

Jefferson Montero was always Swansea’s best hopes of getting an opening goal. Every time he picked the ball up, he beat at least one defender, got forward and made something happen. His final ball was usually lacking but the one he got right got us in front.

Dribbling his way from the left touchline and past three Everton defenders, his low cross was missed by Gomis and his marker, but Dyer was at the far post to steer the ball home from around 10 yards out.

Before the goal, Everton started to enjoy more of the possession and there were two or three moments at least when they went agonisingly close to finding the back of the net. They stretched the Swansea back-line, and often got the ball wide, crosses came in with pace and were always difficult to defend against, but shots on goal were flying harmlessly over the bar.

For the remaining 15 minutes or so after the goal, Swansea City looked to play it safe and ensure that they went in at half time with their narrow lead still intact.

It was no surprise to see Everton make a change at the start of the second half, as Eto’o offered little for them up front. Lukaku came on and fired a powerful shot over the target, but that was about all he had to offer as Swansea’s defence was water-tight.

Fernandez, up there with one of the best players on the pitch for the Swans alongside Montero, made it look like a stroll in the park. A very calm and relaxed figure alongside captain Ashley Williams, he continuously made important blocks, tackles and was often found coming across into wide areas to break up Everton’s play.

The only time Everton looked like they get back into the game was when the Swans put themselves into big trouble. A pass back from midfield fell nicely through for Lukaku but Tremmel did well to deny the striker by clearing the ball at his feet.

A second goal was always a must in this situation, and they were helped by poor decision making by Distin. Shelvey’s in-swinging cross didn’t look like troubling the Toffees, but Distin’s far from convincing header hit the bar, and it bounced back for Sigurdsson to slide in.

Ki was later introduced in midfield, replacing Tom Carroll – who had good moments but Ki’s extra physical presence was needed to ensure the team kept a clean sheet.

With Everton having a lot of possession in the second half, a goal back from the visitors would have made it a difficult and nervous end to the game. The goal never came, and after Lukaku’s missing the opportunity he was gifted by the Swans, a goal never really looked likely.

Swansea City rubbed salt into Everton’s wounds when they made it 3-0 with three minutes to play.

Marvin Emnes, who had barely got his boots wet came on to produce a wonderful 20-yard strike. He received the ball in space, went on a little run, cut inside before finding the low corner of the net with a well driven shot.

It rounded off a perfect night for Swansea City and Monk will be delighted with the performance and the fact they’re back to winning ways ahead of Saturday’s trip to Sunderland.


One Reply to “Report – Swansea City 3-0 Everton”

  • A good performance,especially as Everton usually know how to play against us, stopping our passing game. This time we were more patient and took our chances when they came. Defensively we are much better now that Fernandez is playing. He is getting better each game, it’s just his distribution that needs attention at times. Defensively he is really strong. It was important to get back to winning ways and to score three goals was a bonus.

Comments are closed.