Date: 3rd December 2014 at 10:14am
Written by:

Swansea City’s patience paid off as Ki Sung Yueng and Wayne Routledge helped them to a comfortable win against QPR on a cold Tuesday night at the Liberty Stadium.

After failure to pick up three points on the weekend against Crystal Palace – which they really should have, Garry Monk’s side needed a victory to keep the momentum going ahead of a tough game coming up at in-form West Ham United on Sunday.

The Swans welcomed back Leon Britton into midfield, making his first start of the season following a knee problem that he picked up back in the Summer. The other change saw Angel Rangel rested and Jazz Richards coming in at right back.

Monk was delighted with his side dominant display, calling it the most complete performance of the campaign, but prior to Ki’s vital opener with about 12 minutes to go, it looked like Swansea City might have to settle for another disappointing point.

Like at the weekend against Palace, the Swans controlled the game, and create more than chances to win comfortably but they couldn’t take them.

But tonight, Rob Green was on hand to keep the hosts out, until the 78th minute, when he was surprisingly beaten at his front post.

On another day, and against a different goalkeeper perhaps, Monk’s team could have had the game wrapped up by half time.

Wayne Routledge missed his second one-on-one in as many games. The winger raced through on goal thanks to Bony’s pass but Green stuck out a strong left arm to block his effort.

Kyle Bartley looked like he’d put the Swans into an early lead, with a strong header from Sigurdsson’s corner at the front post, but Green again was equal to it.

Sigurdsson then tested Green himself with a free-kick from about 20 yards, curling a shot around the wall but the goalkeeper somehow managed to push the ball away. Goal line technology confirmed that the ball hadn’t quite crossed the line as the hosts continued to go in search of an opener.

QPR finally sprung into life with a few opportunities to remind the Swans that there were two teams in the game. After Kranjcar fired a fierce free-kick past Fabianski’s far post within the first few minutes, Redknapp’s side went closer later on in the opening half.

Fab’s one save of the half came to deny Fer’s headed effort, while Vargas’s low shot that flew just inches past the post complete QPR’s first half chances.

Other than those few, the Swans were in complete control as the R’s looked to hold on for a point in the second half. Like Palace, they sat deep and looked to frustrate the Swans by packing the midfield area and closing them down well.

They did that relatively well, and as time went on, and with Monk yet to make any sbs, you did wonder if a goal would come. It didn’t on Saturday against a defensive side and it looked like it might be one of those days yet again.

Wilfried Bony should have added to his already impressive 18 goals in 2014, going through on goal, but after delaying a shot, the QPR defence were able to make a crucial tackle.

Green then denied the striker again but he couldn’t do anything when Bony sent Ki through down the left.

Garry Monk made an inspired change with 20 minutes to go. Taking off Montero, as opposed to Routledge who was fading out of the game while Jefferson continued to make his mazy runs towards the byline.

Dyer came on and instantly injected some pace and trickery. Running inside from the left, the winger picked out Bony in space, and the striker had the time to release Ki, and his left footed, low drive went in off the post.

Relief for the Swans, but overdue as QPR were holding on by a thread.

With the pressure off, and confidence boosted knowing they were in front, the Swans looked even more in control. The passes flowed better and they went in search of a second to absolutely guarantee the three points.

Dyer again caused problems, this time running inside from the right, his squared pass was nicely laid off for Routledge who fired home from 20 yards.

Match Stats here


4 Replies to “Report – Swansea City 2-0 QPR”

  • This could have been a case of more missed chances but fair play to the team, they kept driving forward and deservedly got their rewards. I loved the fact that there was a voice in midfield again in Leon Britton. You need that on the field, someone who can see the changes needed and it was Britton who pushed Ki forward, he realised that there was no need for two deep lying midfielders and it was rewarded by Ki’s excellent goal. The Swans were also more of a threat when Montero went off and we had Dyer and Routledge back on the flanks, which allows Rouledge in particular to come inside on his right foot, which led to his goal.

  • Great to see Leon back and very relieved to see us score towards the end, looked far more comfortable and settled after that and a second goal wasn’t a surprise. Thought Montero had a decent game while Routledge was fading out of it, but well done to Monk for putting Dyer on which I hoped he would from the hour mark.

  • I don’t like Routledge playing wide right, he isn’t effective out there. On the left he can come inside on his right foot and get shots away. Montero did OK but I felt he was running out of ideas.

  • yeah Montero was double marked and will always try to go on those runs down the left, there’s a bit more variety to Routledge and Dyer’s play.

Comments are closed.