Date: 28th July 2009 at 1:53am
Written by:

Swansea City ended their 2009 Spain Pre-Season Tour by winning the mini tournament thanks to a 2-1 win against Sabadell.

The squad travelled to Sabadell for the final day to play two 45-minute matches. We narrowly lost the first match 5-4 on penalties against Gimnastic after a goalless draw. Dorus De Vries made his first penalty save in a Swans jersey but Gorka Pintado and Joe Allen missed their spot kicks. The second game was an improvement though, winning 2-1 courtesy of a double strike from Stephen Dobbie.

Paulo Sousa decided to field a new 3-5-2 formation in the opening game.

De Vries

Serran – Williams – Tate

Dyer – Allen – Britton – Orlandi – Gower

Pintado – Bond

The Swans had a good opening spell with a decent chance early on. A long ball was played up to Gower on the flank who did to get to the byeline to whip in a cross but Bond headed over the bar at the near post.

We had another chance moments later, similar to the first. Orlandi did well before the ball came to Dyer out on the right. He used his paceto get forward but another header was sent over at the far post.

The home side had the best chance of the game after 12 minutes though, a ball was played through, splitting the 3-man defence but luckily the player was offside when he netted from close range.

Three minutes later, the Swans responded by creating their best goal opportunity. Pintado found some space and fired a powerful shot from around 25 yards, the keeper could only parry Gorka’s effort and another shot went wide off the rebound.

After the two opening games being played at a narrow, tight pitch at Palamos, the Swans had more freedom, space and the chance to get the ball out wide to the wingers Gower and Dyer.

Alan Tate, Wearing the captain’s armband, was having a very solid game at the back but he made one error when his poor header gave the hosts a chance but they were unable to capitalise on a defensive slip up.

They had another good chance after another defensive mistake by the Swans. Serran made the wrong decision to slide in and it left us exposed. A cross came in from the left and a player was free to volley a shot which Tate blocked, De Vries then saved another attempt on goal.

The opposition were ending the match the better side as De Vries was forced into making another good save. With 2 minutes remaining, they had a man sent off after an awful challenge on Dyer.

Photos and video clips to follow from both games.