In his post match press conference after a 2-1 home loss against relegated side Stoke City at home, Swansea City head coach Carlos Carvalhal revealed that the American owners have “asked him about his availability to remain at the club”.
Not surprisingly, Swansea fans flooded in on Twitter with their disapproval of the news, as it’s crystal clear that the vast majority of supporters don’t want Carvalhal to stay as manager in the Championship next season.
In a recent Twitter poll that received almost 800 votes, fans were very much in favour of not keeping Carvalhal on as manager next season.
So then, how many of us want to keep Carvalhal for next season?
— Vital Swansea (@VitalSwansea) May 9, 2018
It was reported earlier this week that he would indeed be leaving the club, but Carvalhal at least would have us believe that that might necessarily not be the case, having claimed after today’s defeat against Stoke that the club’s owners have asked about his availability to stay:
— BBC Sport Wales (@BBCSportWales) May 13, 2018
However, that conflicts with what Riath has tweeted below, a Daily Mail journalist who believes there’s “no chance of him staying”.
Carvalhal says he's been asked about his availability by Swansea owners, but my information is that there's no chance of him staying.
— Riath Al-Samarrai (@riathalsam) May 13, 2018
But if there’s no chance of him staying, why ask him about his availability for next season? Carvalhal also said during the press conference that he will sit down with his family to consider his future, with more talks with the club expected on Monday.
“I’m only here for four months, so I can’t talk about the structure of the club. I’m not the best person to talk about that.
“I talked with the owners yesterday. We will talk again on Monday. I will think about Swansea and myself. I must talk with my family. After that I will make the right decision about my future.
“I know the Championship and reached the play-offs twice. It’s not common for a team to reach the play-offs two years in a row. In this moment, I must breathe. Afterwards, I will think about that.” – Carlos Carvalhal
Shifting the focus and blame on our early season form for relegation after the Stoke defeat also hasn’t gone down well with fans – Carvalhal also said:
Carvalhal: "The few points that the team achieved in the first part of the season sent us down"
— Vital Swansea (@VitalSwansea) May 13, 2018
Totally disagree- 3 points from the last 9 games sent us down this season. As well as cumulative effect of poor player retention/ recruitment over past few seasons.
— Mike Prasad (@swansea320d) May 13, 2018
And the lack of points since the West Ham games also contributed Carlos. We were just not good enough all season!!
— Den evans (@rakuraku1) May 13, 2018