Vital Swansea member ‘TheCoatOfMartinez’ is next to answer our questions in our Fan Interviews feature.
1. Name / Username
2. How long have you been a fan?
3. The Ferrie Bodde saga. It was a shock turnaround in the end by the Dutchman but what were your views of it? Have you forgiven and forgotten or are you still frustrated with his intent to leave not so long ago? How much of a boost will his stay give us this season?
Ferrie Bodde is a vital member of the squad, I’m guessing the press blew the whole situation bigger than it was. I’m also believing that Ferrie had alot of personal questions to sort out and this saga wasn’t helping at all and confusing him, hence the long waiting time to sort himself out and make his decision.
4. Roberto Martinez has again strengthened his squad ready for the Championship. With a lot of money being spent to gain success in this League, were you hoping there would be more big-money buys or has the Spaniard done the right thing by going cheaper abroad?
The club has always spent little and made household names of unknown players, Martinez is following in this tradition.
However with the quality in this division it may prove risky as none of the players have this level of experience. Saying that last season we didnt know any of the players and they are very much hot property this season for all clubs.
The market here is paying high for the experience rather the quality going abroad gets the quality without the experience, hopefully Martinez has the balance right again this season.
5. Swansea City were unfortunate not to keep right winger Paul Anderson, and they later failed in replacing him with another Liverpool player in Hammil. Do you think we have enough strength in this position?
We do have a number of players who can play in this position, so I’m not worried. Thomas Butler should shine this season.
6. Ashley Williams joined for £400,000 this Summer, beating our previous transfer fee paid. Is he overpriced or do you think it’s an excellent investment for the club?
This is a good investment, let’s hope the price tag doesnt put more pressure on Ashley Williams to perform at a higher level. Playing for Wales will certainly help his development.
7. With the season just less than 2 weeks away now, do you have any concerns about the current squad or are we looking well balanced going into the season? Are there any gaps that still need filling?
Maybe a proven goalscorer in this division would of been a good idea (Robert Earnshaw) we will struggle if none of our strikers bang in the goals. Also a second keeper would be an obvious hole in our squad at the moment.
8. Febian Brandy rejoined us on loan from Manchester United. What are your views on the youngster and are you glad to see him arrive for another 6-month stay?
Febian is quality we really need him, his pace and finishing abilities will be vital. He will put defences to the sword.
9. Despite scoring 29 League goals last season, Jason Scotland still received criticism for the fans. Do you think he can step up this season and continue his goalscoring form in the Championship or will the likes of Bauza and Pintado out-perform him?
I’m hoping he proves himself as he doesn’t deserve the critism, If he gets off to a good start he will be fine and stays free of injuries.
10. Martinez has strengthened his defence during pre-season with the signings of Williams, Serran and Bessone. Many fans had concerns for the defence last season, Have these seasons eased those?
These concerns are definately addressed however if Martinez is loyal to Lawrence and plays him in games then I’ll be worried about our defence again.
11. Dorus De Vries is currently our only keeper in our squad at the moment. He is good enough to be our number 1 or do we need to sign someone who can really push him for that place?
There has been a few slip ups from De Vries that have ended in goals I think we should be looking at a keeper to push him for sure. We don’t want him getting lax half way in the season.
12. Andy Robinson ignored a challenge in the Championship to remain in League One with Leeds. Were you disappointed with his decision and his attitude or are you happy to see the back of him?
Its great to be rid of him, he had attitude that we don’t want at the club. We made him who he is and repaid us by choosing Leeds over us. His loss as we are now playing in the Championship whilst Leeds are still in League One.
13. Garry Monk was captain last season, should he keep the armband this year or is there someone else in the squad who could do a better job?
Monk should be captain again this season he is a brilliant leader and should be rewarded for his service last season and previous seasons to the club. The players respect him and he organises the players superbly on the field.
14. What do you think are our best hopes this season and where do you think we’ll finish?
14. My heart says 8-12th my head says 18th-20th.
Click here to read more articles from the fans