Swansea Vital Member StanVanDamm answers Site Editor KevinE`s questions in our latest fan interview.
1. Roberto Martinez decided to release Tom Williams and Andy Oakes last month, did you agree with this decision?
“I agree with the Oakes one. On the other hand I think it was a mistake to let Tommy go. He was brilliant for us in the second half of last season. I swear he had the best cross of all the midfield. He was taking corners near the east stand one game and nearly scoring every one.”
2 Out of the out of contract players offered new deals – Kristian O’Leary, Steven Watt, Izzy Iriekpen, Adebayo Akinfenwa and Garry Monk, who would you like to see stay and go?
“O`leary go- Been a great servant but I think if we want championship we have to aim higher
Steve Watt – Go
Izzy – Stay (but do not give in any to contract demands)
Bayo – Stay. Bayo is great
Monk – Been so long since I see him play last. Id say stay. “
3. Austin has signed a new contract at the club; do you think we should have offered him a new deal?
“Yes. Austin is great but he struggles at left back. When we played gillingham away last year they tore him apart. Keep him in the centre and he can be useful for another year yet. “
4 Izzy Iriekpen has moaned a few times to the press regarding the contract situation, what were your thoughts on this? Should he just keep quiet or does he have the right to speak out? Would you like him to stay?
“Every person is different at the end of the day. I personally would have kept things to do with my career quiet. If he wants to moan it`s up to him but he`s not providing a good image to the fan”.
5. Martinez’s first signings were Jason Scotland and Matty Collins, what are your views on their arrivals?
“Jason sounds like a great goal scorer (though we have heard that before – remember Walter boyd??). Hopefully he can get this work permit business sorted. Haven`t heard much about Matty collins to be honest.. “
6. With just one keeper at the club, should Martinez be looking for a new goalkeeper or one as backup for Willy Gueret?
“Definitely and I would say maybe to even replace him. I think willy is a great shot stopper but he has a habit of flapping when coming out for corners and he does worry me when he comes running out of the box.”
7. The ‘Dutch Roy Keane’ (Ferrie Bodde) is our recent signing for £50,000, what are your views on his arrival? Do we need another central midfielder?
“He sounds like a cracking midfield player who gets stuck in. I think this will help our defence a lot. We have to make sure we have someone creative alongside him in the centre who likes getting forward. “
8. Kristian O’Leary has been offered a 3 year-deal by Cheltenham, would like to see him go or is his time up at Swansea?
“Yes as I said above I think his time has come. He`s been a great servant for the club but I feel a little bit more quality is needed to get us to the championship
9. How confident are you that Roberto Martinez can finally deliver us promotion to the Championship next season? What are your predictions for next season?
“Personally I don`t think it will be automatics. I think its going to be a 4th place finish and we will lose in the playoffs again. I think a few times will be pushing us to hard this season. I think though roberto is the man to take us ahead. I`m sure the players respect him and he seems to be a great guy”
Thank you StanVanDamm for your views, if you would like to express your views about all things Swansea City fc; then please do join our forum. It`s totally free and registration takes only a few minutes to complete.