Date: 25th January 2008 at 9:44pm
Written by:

Swansea City have sent a massive signal to the promotion chasing pack and in turn a huge step forward towards promotion with a rampant 4-0 win over a 10 man Doncaster Rovers side.

Roberto Martinez rung the changes after Darren Pratley was ruled out with a hamstring tear ahead of his 2 match ban. The Spaniard adopted the more balanced 4-4-2 formation with Paul Anderson coming and Jason Scotland partnering Guillem Bauza up front.

It was the league leaders who started the brighter winning the first corner within a minute of the start and Leon Britton was unlucky not to have been given a free kick after a challenge from a Doncaster player.

Swansea City were unlucky not to go 1-0 up after Ferrie Bodde won the ball in the centre of the park to feed the awaiting Guillem Bauza who scuffed his shot wide of Neil Sullivan in the Doncaster goal. Former Swan Jason Price had a golden chance to send the home side into a 1-0 lead after he headed a James Coppinger corner wide from 7 yards.

After some fine work by Thomas Butler the midfielder off loaded the ball to Jason Scotland who was adjudged to have been fouled by Paul Green. Up stepped Dutchman Ferrie Bodde who fired Swansea into a the lead after a trademark free kick just inches outside the Doncaster area. Sean O Driscoll’s side nearly replied immediately after former Swansea player Jason Price headed past Dorus De Vries but was ruled out for offside.

Doncaster manger O Driscoll rung the changes at half time brining Matthew Mills coming on for Adam Lockwood due to injury. Doncaster started the half the brighter and pushed forward with purpose and nearly got their just rewards after the Swansea defence was all at sea. Price found space behind the Rovers defence and in the process left Dorus De Vries injured after unemotionally hitting the keeper in the midriff. Swansea kept their cool as Jason Scotland squared the ball to Guillem Bauza who slotted the ball home to send Swansea into a 2-0 lead.

Doncaster’s troubles went from bad to worse as Stephen Roberts was sent off following a challenge on a rampant Guillem Bauza. Swansea could not capitalize on the subsequent free kick. With an eye on a tricky trip to Nottingham Forest on Tuesday evening Joe Allen replaced a hard working Leon Britton. In a last gasp attempt to mount a comeback Rovers top scorer James Hayter was brought on for Mark McCammon to put some pressure on the Swansea defence. Doncaster could not answer the Swansea onslaught and found themselves firmly on the back foot as substitute Andy Robinson interchanged with a vastly impressive Bodde to earn a free kick. Jason Scotland was gifted a golden opportunity to make it 3-0 but blazed his shot over the bar.

Manchester United youngster and new loan striker Fabien Brandy had a perfect opportunity to make it 3-0 deep into the 2nd half but could not connect with the cross.

Doncaster’s evening took a horrendous turn on 84 minutes as Fabien Brandy was fouled by Gareth Roberts in the box. Up stepped Jason Scotland made no mistake from the spot to send Swansea into a 3-0 lead. Not content with 3 Fabien Brandy made it 4-0 in added time after latching onto a Andy Robinson cross to cap off a sensational performance from the runaway league leaders.

Roberto Martinez’s side will go into the top of the table clash against Nottingham Forest with clear knowledge a win over the former European champions will send them

Stats and reaction to come…